Sunday, October 27, 2013

Setting yourself up for failure, while hoping for greatness

This morning was Telluride's Halloween Family 5k. With less than 50 participants, the thought crossed my mind I might be able to finish in the top three. Yes... Trophy! I mean I had been running regularly, had added strength training, and was acclimated to the elevation.  This was going to be MY race!

What could possibly go wrong?

Well... I did have 3 hot dogs at the cookout last night (which I never eat anymore), I also ate large amounts of the Hershey's s'mores stock, and then had two large glasses of wine for a night cap. Now, I'm not saying that led to stomach trouble on the course, but I'm not saying it didn't either.

Oh, and did I mention it was really cold before the start of the race? Did I take the time to warm up at all? Nope! I was blinded by the trophy I was sure was waiting for me. Well, when I may or may not have stopped to address the stomach issues every muscle in both of my legs may have tightened up like a rusted bolt on a John Deere, which always helps when your trying to find a running rythym.

I finished- but nowhere near the top three. In fact, my (maybe) hypothetical pits stop may have allowed James' (my other running partner) seven year old son to finish just ahead of me.

Moral of the story. Take every race as seriously as marathon. Nutrition, routines and good habits matter!

Here's the 411 on today's race:

No comments:

Post a Comment