Saturday, October 26, 2013

You are what you eat...

 Oh... Oreos, Pillsbury cake, and peanut butter M&Ms- I love you all! But I hate you too.

Every runner knows that a huge part of your training is how you fuel your body. The better and more nutritious food you put in your body, the better your training will be; just as the better fuel you put in your car the smoother it will run.

I have been doing a (somewhat) better job on eating healthier since the move. Maybe its the fact the nearest fast food is an hour away or maybe its the fact that 95% of the residents in this town are health food nuts. Whatever the case, I am making (slight) improvements in my diet.

Here are some highlights of my dietary changes:
  • Eating one or two salads a day
  • Using bananas, apples and other fruits for snacks
  • Been nearly soda free for a month (have only had two during that time)
  • More veggies with lunch and dinner
But I have a weakness, an Achilles heel if you will, when it comes to food- my sweet tooth. I love cake, ice cream and cookies- I mean REALLY love them! Now, part of it is not my fault, as a recent study has suggested Oreos are as addictive as cocaine, but really that's a cop out.  No one is holding a gun to my head at the store- forcing me to bring the cake mix home. There's no rule at Clark's (our local market) stating I have to grab that bag of peanut butter M&Ms on the way out.

So what do I do? My faithful readers and friends know my brother is a personal trainer and he has clued me in to two key changes that should help me fuel better during training. Read 'em over and let me know what you think in the comments.
  1. The mindset switch- I have to begin thinking of food as fuel. If it's not good for my body then I shouldn't be eating it. This worked with me with diet soda, as every time I thought about having one, I heard Chris's (my training partner) voice say, "that is poison." Do I still want a soda- yep! But I know its not good fuel and I grab my water bottle instead. The next step is to apply this mindset switch to sweets.
  2. Cheat meals- It's not mentally healthy to deprive yourself totally- it may actually cause you to crave sweets more. My plan is to make my long run days my cheat days. My reward for running 10-20 miles is to allow myself to have a piece of cake (or two) or some chocolate chip cookies. If I allow myself to splurge once a week hopefully I can keep on track the rest of the week.
Look for more updates on how my fueling is going as my training picks up.

Here's the 411 on this week's "long run"  with Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment